Find what you want

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Differentiation

Differentiation looks to avoid this sort of teaching
     From what we have covered, both in and out class, I have come to understand that differentiation is an extremely important part of education. Differentiation is method of teaching in which the instructor provides different ways of presenting the information so that a variety of students can find success. This all based on the understanding that all students do not learn the same way. 
     While differentiation is vital for education, it isn't widely used to great success. There are countless different ways that students learn and this can make it nearly impossible for a teacher to meet every students' needs

This is where I believe technology can be of great help. Teachers can use different technologies that cater different needs. For example, visual learners could use something such as the iPad to work with the materials in a way that appeals to them. By having many different types of technologies in the classroom, students can take some control of their own learning and find what ways best aid them in understanding the information. For the teacher, this helps them discover the ways that students learn and allows for future lessons to be developed more inline with the students' needs.

6 comments:

  1. Great post Stephen, this clearly shows that you understand what differentiation is. Did you experience differentiation at all, because I didn't see anything about it in your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that I really remember experiencing differentiation, though I'm sure I did. I wasn't much for paying attention before college. Haha

      Delete
  2. i think having different technologies can benefit all of the needs of the students greatly since they all have different preferences and understandings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your use of the word "cater." Superb job Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really good post. It clearly lays out the importance of differentiation in the classroom and why it is necessary. I feel like that first picture you use is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you when you say that it is hard for teachers to meet every student’s different types of needs. I also agree that technology is good for differentiation in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete